Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sushi and Blues

Being in ministry at a culinary school definitely has its perks. For example, this weekend Tyler and I were able to take part in JWU's "chef's choice." Basically this is a culinary lab opened up to the public. It's not typically something that is free, but a friend of ours totally hooked us up. But, even if we had to pay for this fun morning out it would have been well worth the cost. We were in a group with about 14 other folks and went to a class called "Sushi and Blues." The chef that led our class was top notch. He used to be the head chef for the seniors PGA tour. I know this sort of thing doesn't impress most people, but for my dad and father in law I know that this is well worth mentioning. The same fellow that cooked Tiger his bacon and eggs and made sure that Phil had his daily dose of fiber is the same chef that taught us to roll sushi.
It was a great "date" for Tyler and myself. We love hands on type adventures and this was definitely hands on. After the chef showed us several different techniques and wowed us with his culinary expertise, we were then set loose at our own little station. We were given a knife and a tray like the one seen above. We sliced up all the veggies and meat, and then rolled sushi rolls like it was our job (while listening to the Blues...hence the title of the class).
I even improved upon my knife holding stance. Your hand is to be an extension of the knife...
And then we feasted on sushi... and the whole thing was kid free, thanks Katie and Cody! If you want more info. on Chef's choice let me know. I recommend everyone in Charlotte do this, it was so so much fun and the school puts these on quite frequently. So, go ahead and get in touch with your inner chef.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

i'd love more info about that, or any other type of cooking class...i love that kind of thing...used to go to cooking classes monthly at whole foods in winston-salem and they were so much fun!

Lindsey said...

I expect some good sushi next time we travel to Charlotte, you should know it is Sean's favorite food now.

carrie dirks said...

oh you shall have it Lindsey...and Crystal I'll give you the LD at Bible study!!!